Tuesday, March 6, 2007

What a Childhood

So yesterday I watched a movie about DDT, transgenic crops, and the destruction of the environment and GNO or something like that. They showed Pioneer corn, Round-Up and of course corn fields (from North Dakota)…so sad. But…I felt like home. It was so wonderful.

Then, I was talking with my friend, Seth…the guy that thinks a lot and always has an argument for everything. I think he uses a larger percentage of his brain than most people do. Anyway, I was feeling really jealous about how much he knows…about everything. I wished that I could be as intentional about learning and searching for information… (without all the work and reading of course). I told him this and he said, “Yeah, but Liz, do I know how to cut cabbage?” Nope…he doesn’t. And that made me happy.

I realize now in Costa Rica how much more I understand about the world and life being that I grew up on a farm. I understand erosion and the idea of maximum capacity for a piece of land…something that affects sheep farmers in the Middle East and Israel. I understand cross pollination and transgenetic corn…which affects 90% of the corn industry in Mexico. I understand affects of the weather, which caused the loss of potato crops in Ireland and Peru. I know about stable foods, the idea of working to literally put food on the table and the feeling of lack of control over your income. I also know how to milk a cow and catch chickens. SO SWEET in itself.

No comments: