Thursday, March 22, 2007

Panama...where to begin




I finally lived a life of simplicity, and it was so rewarding. A life focused on people, not on things. A life focused on time, not on money. A life where true dependence on God for the daily bread and fish isn’t exchanged for dependence in a bank account. It is a beautiful thing. Now, how do I bring that back to the U.S.? I obviously can’t live in a hut with no electricity and no car and no bathroom. There are things that we are unable to live without in order to survive. But I still can’t figure out where the balance is. But I think the changes in my life that need to happen wont be extreme like I’ve always assumed they would be. I always thought that the extreme changes would be hard, but I could do it. But extreme change, even if possible, is less difficult than changing my daily habits and way of thinking. Such as:

Buying organic foods to support small farmers and to rid the environment of pesticides

Using less plastic: shopping bags, containers, sandwich bags, cups, plates and the list continues.

Eat less meat. I learned that by becoming a vegetarian, one contributes more to the environment than by buying a hybrid car.



Simple things, but difficult things, to live intentionally in order to serve God on a different level.


No comments: