Friday, January 12, 2007

Pura Vida...Que Tuanis


It’s hard to believe that I am actually in Costa Rica…with los ticos (costa ricans). Needless to say, I’ve am slightly overwhelmed, but the Spanish part is going great. My host family is absolutamente in credible. Wow. But as far as culture goes, I have a lot to learn. After a crash course in ‘street language’ from my sisters, I feel a little be better about Costa Ricans lingo…such ‘pura vida’ or ‘que tuanis’. However, knowing how and when to use those words is the hard part. But I stay stupid things all the time…so why not try to add a ‘pura vida’ comment in the wrong place and add to the list of stupid comments. I’m sure it will happen regardless of my efforts.

So today, as I was walking around San Jose, I felt like all the people were singing to themselves “there she is just walking done the street, ‘looking blanca(white) and nerviosa.’” (With an obvious change in the words). Simply said, I am white and I often look lost. One day I’ll look like a Tico…but who knows when.

Ps. I saw Barney and Mickey Mouse in the plaza today. It made me laugh. I also ran down an up escalator. That made me laugh too. But not the security guard.

Things I’ve learned already:

1. Public bus systems are not tourist busses. Looking around at all the new things and people isn’t a ‘social norm’. I need to put on my game face when I ride the bus…which I guess is supposed to look like I’m going to funeral-muy serio.

2. Reggueton really is a huge part of culture. And so are telenovelas (soap operas). One or the other or both are always on at the house.

3. I think clocks are just for decoration. I’ve seen 4 or 5 clocks that aren’t working or say the wrong time. It’s confusing for me because I never know what time it is…but maybe that’s ok.

4. The whole ‘being late’ stereotype? Haven’t seen that yet. But I have seen carpet…IN MY ROOM!!!

5. POP’S ice cream is still amazing.

6. Pigeons eat corn…weird.

No comments: